Following Up: So far, so good

I went back to the doctor today for a follow-up. The doctor wanted to check the incisions and see how the tendons were doing. My foot was a bit tender as they cut the old cast away. It seems like the blood kept the material stuck to my foot. It was deep kind of pain as they tugged it away.

IMG_0449 IMG_0450

The doctor took a look at the incisions and gave my leg a small test to see if the foot would stay up without him holding it – basically checking to see if the surgery did what he wanted it to do. He didn’t want to leave it to free fall since the tendons have only been attached a short time and he didn’t want them pulled out.

IMG_0454 IMG_0453 IMG_0451

The incisions looked good. There are three – one on the inside of my foot near the arch. He took the tendon that works with the big toe. The one on the top of my foot is where he brought them together to work to pick up my foot. It’s hard to see, but on the outside of my leg, above the ankle, is where he took the second tendon from.

The other very good news is that my foot stayed up when he let it go! He said that after six weeks it would firmly attached and I can be moved into a boot out of the cast. And speaking of the cast…


It is BIGGER AND BRIGHTER! It eats my toes a bit more, is a lot wider around my foot, and goes higher up on my leg. None of these are positive things in my mind, except that it seems less likely that I’ll injure it this way. It makes it a lot more cumbersome and challenging to lug around.

The doctor also had to lengthen the Achilles a little to make sure I’m getting maximum benefit from the surgery.


This was a good visit. I’m very pleased with my status right now. Getting to and from the doctor today was exhausting so I have no plans to leave my apartment for the next week or so. The incision on the outside of my leg seems to feel the worst, but they all pulse and throb from time to time. I really do need to just rest for a while and let my body do what it needs to do.

I go back in a couple weeks for the doctor to check the dressing again and make sure everything is still going well. He also cleared me to travel once the boot is on though he didn’t look thrilled about it. I’m sure Mr. Lyndsy will follow up on that at my next appointment.